Monday, January 14, 2013

Final Artist Statement - Marie Santoro


There are a wide variety of different styles, artists, and techniques that I really appreciate as an artist and want to use in my work. As I've explored the world of art, there are people, artistic styles, and specific pieces that have stuck with me and served as a great inspiration to me over the years.

 One such thing that inspires me are landscapes. I love a captivating image of a place that makes me think “I want to go there.” From expansive and elegant Victorian mansions, to quiet nature scenes, to gritty city skylines, I really enjoy a good landscape. From this stems my love for concept art, a lot of which is setting design. While it's not the primary thing I draw now, I hope to do more location pieces in the future and progress to a point where I create places people want to visit themselves. 

Another type of art that I love are character designs. Artists like Glen Keane, M. Alice Legrow, and Don Bluth who create characters with so much personality and life really inspire me. Looking at character designs is so interesting to me because whether it be a hero or a villain, a good one must not only be visually interesting, but show personality and help drive story. I’ve always loved drawing people, and as I improve as an artist, I hope to create most interesting and complex character designs.

Several techniques really inspire me, as well. While I enjoy the simple, clean lines of disney characters designed by Glen Keane, I absolutely love the detailed, atmospheric look of a matte painting. Matte paintings, though digital, still look and feel very much like a painting. The surreal photo manipulations of Natalie Shau’s work is also very appealing to me, though. Her color choices also really add to her pieces, giving everything an eerie undertone, and everything has this look that could almost be real, but at the same time isn’t. The thing I appreciate the most about an artist, or a style, or a technique is it’s ability to look unique and have character.

My finished pieces:






No comments:

Post a Comment